Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
•Forget everything you think you know about literature & reading. Set aside likes and dislikes. Either way, you can get something out of it. •Read the material with an open mind & think about it. •Then. Let’s talk. Ask Questions. Have conversation. •Finally, respect the material and respect each other. Most groups & classes are made up of a variety of people & personalities – successful groups are those whose members respect each other and each other’s differences.
15 comments:
No I don't think it has anything to do with Celie leaving. Its a way to get back at Nettie for rejecting him. As far as Celie, I think he disregards her feelings all together. Its just his only way to punish Nettie.
Part of it has to do with taking control of everything he could. As it was stated in class he was accustomed to the whites always controlling what he could and couldn't do. This was a way for him to control what someone else did. He was also mad at Nettie for disregarding him and denying him the sexual favors he was seeking. Personally I think his biggest reason was to keep Celie in her place. I don't mean there with him, but to make sure she always knew she was a woman and knew what women were worth. Nettie gave her strength; gave her a sense of worth. Mr. knew that if Nettie were to be a part of Celie's life she would begin to see that there was more to life the what Mr. was giving her.
I agree with Shaina in that keeping the letters was more directed at punishing Nettie for leaving. One of her letters stated that "Albert said you'd never hear from me again". He obviously made good on that threat. What I find amazing is that he actually kept the letters, rather than burning or disposing of them.
i was wondering the same thing! i think he in a way he was keeping them so she would not leave and she wouldknow someone loved her and if she wanted, she could leave, which she does anyways.
He knows how Celie feels about Nettie and HE knows how Nettie feels about himself. Its not like he loves Celie but he couldn't ever let her go. He has her to well trained, itwould be like letting go of your best hunting dog. Besides he probably thinks he couldn't find another wife if celie left him, or at least one as good as Celie.
I agree with Shaina, I think Albert is upset and embarrassed at Nettie refusing him. Keeping her letters is the worst thing he could do to Celie and Nettie.
Mr. tells Nettie that she won't let Celie see her again or something to that affect in the letter Nettie writes to Celie. He is just keeping his word. He doesn't let Nettie have anything to do with Celie...that's why
It was out of spite. he wanted to keep his word and when Nettie plays it cool on him for trying to make a pass his little pride gets hurt so being the sick individual he is, decides to display his power and get in the way of contact between two sisters.he clearly has warped perceptions on how people should be treated. he lies and he is a womanizer.
I think that he is doing it to hurt Nettie. He wanted Nettie from the first day he saw her and she rejected him multiple times. I don't think that he meant to hurt Celie but ended up doing it anyways.
I think he is afraid that celie will leave him. I think Netties letters educate Celie and give her more power which Mr____ obviously doesnt want her to have
I think that he is keeping the letters from Celie to prove how much power he has over Celie's life just for being a man and also to get back at Nettie for rejecting him. I think that if he had given Celie all of the letters Nettie has written her, Celie would realize that she doesn't have to stay there and live a horrible life,that she could escape and go find Nettie, and I am sure that Mr. is scared of Celie leaving him and his family even though he doesnt love her, he knows she is too good to be true.
He does it because he has the power and he doesnt want the communication between the two. Also a way of getting back at Nettie.
I was wondering the same thing. I think it's a type of revenge towards Nettie. And I don't think he even cared about what it would do to Celie and how it would make her feel. It's just one more way for him to have all that more power.
He does it to hurt Nettie. She refused his advances. He obviously doesnt hold women in a high regard and it hurting Celie as well was a bonus.
I think he is afraid that celie will stand up to him and gain independence and she wont she sit there and take all the abuse.
Post a Comment