Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Some questions..

Okay so first off, what is the actual relationship status of Celie and Shug? I mean it is quite clear how Celie feels about Shug, but I don't get whats going on. There are many occasions when they seem to have a sexual attraction, and or moments towards one another, but then Celie says things like, we slept like sisters, and Shug is married and whatever else. Also, how did Nettie know that Samuel and Corrine were raising Celie's children? She doesn't' hear the story of how they got the children until years after she has been working for them.

10 comments:

HUH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HUH said...

I think that feelings between shug and Celie are mutual in terms of attraction. I also think that they refrain from sexual activity because of external factors including, Celie finding out that Albert has kept letters hidden from her, that pa is not her real father, that her children survived and are living with Nettie... All these things happening to Celie could have an impact on her sex life with Shug, for the time being.

Joey DoubleU said...

Shug and Celie's bond has become very deep. they have reached a level of friendship where physical and emotional aspects are fulfilled. Celie hasn't really experienced things as such and i dont think Shug has with a same gender individual. Shug goes out of her way to look after Celie in reguard to how Mr___ treats her. when they find and read Nettie's letters to Celie that is huge in terms of how it reflects Shugs pure love for Celie. Nettie discovered the secret when she put two and two together,that Celie said that Corrine was someone with money. then the events that ensued after led her to believe(especially when she saw them) that these were infact Celie's baby's

Anonymous said...

I think that Celie and Shug are great friends who have a very deep connection. I think that they are both somewhat sexually attracted to each other but don't really know what to do about it. They are both married and know that what they are doing isn't right.

Anonymous said...

I think that Celie and Shug have a definite attraction towards eachother, but i think it goes a little further than that. I think that Celie feels safe around Shug and feels able to talk to her like she would a best friend or sister which makes her feel extremely comfortable. That to me makes me think that is probably the reason the two went a little further than friends. They both have a deep connection with each other.

nicole04 said...

I think Shug just wanted the experience. I think once they tried it a time or two they then were just friends that snuggled and stuff. Celie obviously wants to be with Shug but Shug doesn't feel the same for Celie. Now Shug has found a man and her and Celie are more like sisters.

erika said...

They obviously love each other. People can have love without sexual attraction. However, they obviously do especially where Celie is concerned.

Brady said...

I think that Nettie just simply saw a close resemblance between Olivia and Celie.

Anonymous said...

I am a little lost too on the realtionship withe celie and shrug, they have been togeather but than act like they are sisters/ best friends now. I think neither one of them know what is going on and also celie calls shrug her "sugar" i think everything is so new to both of them, they just go with it.I also think though, that celie wants to really be with shrug, like a couple, but shrug is afraid of the image it might play; since she is famous.

Anonymous said...

Nettie knows Olivia and Adam are Celie's children because they look just like her. Nettie knows she had children and they were from the same town (if I remember right). Back then, they didn't go very far away from home. Pa was just looking to get rid of the children, he didn't go out of his way to make sure they were far away...that would be too much work.
All in all, Olivia and Adam look just like Celie, and Nettie knew Celie had a boy and a girl. It would only make sense that they are Celie's children.