Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Reliving the past.. kind of?

Isn't it kind of ironic that Siddhartha wants little Siddhartha to stay with him, and learn this way of life that he clearly would not be comfortable with? I mean through this entire book he stresses how important it is to experience life in order to gain knowledge. Also, he himself went through this many years back with his own father. Is it possible Siddhartha doesn't want his son to have to go through the things he himself has?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he wants to teach his son. He realizes that he should have visited his own father and that he is going through the same thing his father went through. I think Siddhartha wants his son to live away from the city so he doesn't experience that greed he experienced..he wants to teach him the right path.
He has fear for his son.

erika said...

i think that siddhartha experiences what his father must have felt when he ran off and never saw him again. his father might have gone looking for him too, we dont know.

Brady said...

I think Siddhartha has good reason to worry about his son in that when Siddhartha himself fell into sin he almost lost all hope of salvation. I think that Siddhartha is afraid that if he lets his son experience the pleasures of the world he will lose any hope of finding true happiness.

Anonymous said...

i think things came to the end for Siddhatha, he find every things he wanted in life, love, son, freids, gambling, and so on. now its time for all the things he had to leave hime. His son left him and brock his heart like he did to his father. The river man(Vasudeva)left him. All thigs he left behind now are leaving him behind, his lover also dead. I remember, Siddharha was taking to the river man,about how his father felt when he left and how he felt now when his son left.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that Siddhartha fully realized he was being hypocritical until he looked into the river and saw his father's face. I think that he was just caught up in the moment and got very attached to having a son, and would do anything to keep him around becuase he liked the feeling of having someone to care for, even though his son clearly disobeyed him and disliked his new living situation he was kind of forced into..
I do think however that it is some what ironic that the general lesson of this whole book is to learn from your own life experiences and Siddhartha doesn't want his son to go off on his own to do just that.

Sam said...

That could very well be so, or that he may want to teach his son in his ways.I think he wants to keep young Siddhartha home and with him, like what his father did to him when he wanted to leave.