Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Siddhartha was weighted down by his best friend in the first part of the book. Gotama was Siddhartha's constant companion whom Siddhartha thought more of as a liability rather than a source of inspiration. Now that Siddhartha is on his own, how does his situation with Kamala mirror the friendship he lost with Gotama?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it really mirrors his relationship with Govinda (I think thats who you meant). He is looking for friendship, but I don't think he's looking for a relationship specifically like the one he had with Govinda. He's just looking for a relationship in general. It still seems that all he does is for knowledge and experience. Maybe he just wants to experience a different type of relationship. I'm certain that he atleast realizes that friendship is more valuable than he first thought.

Cassie said...

His relationship with Kamala is more of a take. She gives to him the knowledge he is looking to receive, as well as the means to get to the status she wants him at. His relationship with Govinda was more of a give. When they were kids Govinda needed guidance and security and Sidharatha provided that for him.

Kristen Forbes said...

I think he replaces her with his friend and that is part of the reason why he may not be able to love her truly like she wants him to. He just wants to have his friend back and maybe even regrets how things ended with that relationship.

Brady said...

I don't think that the relationship between Govinda and Siddharta ended on a bad note. I also think that Siddharta realizes that the relationship between him and Kamala will never work out because Kamala is a very worldly person and Siddharta realized that indulging in worldly pleasures is not a good thing.

Shaina said...

It doesn't exactly mirror the friendship between Govinda and Siddhartha, but there is at least one similarity... Govinda looked to Siddhartha for knowledge and to help him learn, which is of course what Siddhartha is doing with Kamala. Siddhartha is looking to experience and gain the knowledge of love, which clearly is not what Govinda was hoping to learn from Siddhartha. Siddhartha is only pursuing this relationship with Kamala for knowledge... at least at first that is why.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Cassie said, that their relationships have some kind of similarity by giving and recieving. Govinda looked to Siddhartha almost as a mentor, to recieve knowledge from and become closer to his inner being. Siddhartha, like Govinda, looks to Kamala for knowledge on love and a different kind of companionship.