Friday, September 26, 2008

VONNEGUT - THE INTRO

Why do you think Vonnegut begins the book explaining the narrator's (author's?) experiences and intentions for the book?

14 comments:

AJ said...

I think it is because his intentions changed over the course of writing the book. He stated that he spent many years and wrote thousands of words yet ended up with a small book. In spite of its size, he shows that a lot of thought and effort went into the finished storyline and ended up being less about the war and more about experience and circumstances.

Anonymous said...

I think it is beacuse he thought it was important for the reader to know that he had been through many struggles and was kind of warning the reader ahead of time about what they were to be reading. Also because he stated numerous times that he had tried to write this book many times and that the outcome may have turned out different than what he expected. Like AJ said, this book seems to be more about his different experiences through out his life than just about the war.

erika said...

He had to explain his intentions because its a weird book.

Anonymous said...

he explains what he is going to write about so that we know what we are getting into when we read

Bryce said...

I think he originally wanted the book to be supporting war and have young soldiers glorified for fighting for their country, but his perspective changed due to his experiences in life after war.

Kristen Forbes said...

I think he did this in order to give us a little background before we starting actually reading it. By explaining this before he starts the story i think it helps you understand it a little better.

Anonymous said...

I think he was just trying to give a lead-in to the book, if it just started out with this guy i would be more confused, but he has kind of paralleled it to his own life a little bit, except for the aliens and time travel part.

Z Money said...

The beginning seems almost more like a preface. I think he chose to use this to let the reader know the time and thought that went on for years before this book. His mixed thoughts and feelings towards the war were very complicated. The beginning of this book allows the reader to know how much this has affected his life and how important it is to him

Anonymous said...

I think he did this because it shows the reader that the author tried to write this book many times and it just never seemed quite right. He is warning the reader that the book may not always make sense, but it is worth reading.

Joey DoubleU said...

Probably to shed light upon the almost sarcastic stance that he takes with the war and who the narrator is. This also allows the reader to become familair with how Vonneguts character will be relaying story to us. Explaining the intentions helps us see humor in that he'd been trying to write this for quite sometime.

HUH said...

I think the topic of war was a tricky subject at the time slaughter house five was created. I think the authur is showing readers he is a credible source. It also gives a bit of insight into the mind of Billy and how he deals with what he thinks to be reality.

Anonymous said...

I think because this is the only way he knows how to write and this book is true. This is how it really happend. There is no need change his writtings and intentions,his narratoring is hard and jumps around alot, which is like his experience at war, but i think it makes out for an interseting narratoring and keeps you hooked.

Anonymous said...

First,I think he wonted to make money. second, he wonted to tell people about his experien on war. But when we read the first pages, it seem like he for got what he had experiented. he had to find a friend throught phone company so he can help him to remember more to write a book. Other wise this book would been three pages or it wouldn't been writted in the first place.

Brady said...

I think that Vonnegut wrote the beginning of the book the way he did because he probably wanted to suprise the reader. In chapter one the book seems ordinary but then in chapter two he brings Billy into the story and talks about time travel.