Friday, September 12, 2008

Mr. Rochester

Why has Mr. Rochester in two different situations (He first met Jane on the path when his horse fell, and again when he pretended to be the old gypsy woman), wanted to find information by pretending to be someone else? Does he feel that he can only find true feelings from others indirectly, and why?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Mr.Rochester finds it hard to talk to people just because he is in control all the time and the master of the mansion. SO maybe the way he acts and disguises differnetly to get real answers. Also, he might just be really werid.

erika said...

he's supposed to be really ugly, so i'm guessing he's been rejected alot in his life and its his way of rejecting others before he gets rejected.

Anonymous said...

He may just feel that the only way to get an honest response from someone is to get it by pretending to be someone else. Being himself and having the money that he does, he may feel that people will just give him an answer that will please him, not the actual answer or feeling that they have towards the subject.

AJ said...

I suspect he feels he will get a more straightforward answer. In the first instance however, he doesn't say that he is NOT Mr. Rochester. As the gypsy he not only asked questions, but made statements that were misleading. I would have loved to heard more about what the fortune teller said to Blanche. It sounded like she wasn't too happy.

Bryce said...

I think it gives him the opportunity to ask some questions, and give some anwsers he normally couldnt being Mr. Rochester.

HUH said...

I think Mr. Rochester likes to test peoples character before he can know them intimatly. I would assume it is a combination of over confidence at times, and self conciousness at other times. I think if Mr. Rochester saw a psychriatrist we would be diagnosed as having a by-polar dissorder.