Monday, October 13, 2008
Tralfamadore
I don't really understand the whole Tralfamadore thing. These last few chapters just made it a little more confusing for me... So does he have a whole other life there with Montana Wildhack? When she was asking him if he had been time traveling again and where he had gone, it made me wonder if he is living there or is he on earth? He must have traveled to Tralfamadore more then that one 6 month time period, seeing as they have a baby together....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I really can't figure that whole deal out wither. At times it is like he is living on Earth but at other times it's like he's living on Tralfamadore and is doing all the time traveling from there. I'm begining to think the story actually takes place on Tralfamadore and he just time travels back to Earth. So he had to have went there for more than just the six months if you ask me.
The key to all this is that Billy travels through time... so yes, he's on Tralfamadore for a long time but he leaves because he jumps around in time... OR maybe not.
You might be right about the setting... that the story takes place there.
Good observations / questions.
Billy, who would think the book would end up by talking about the time traveler Billy. I think people gat confuse, bcuase Billy can time travel any time any where at the same time. Think about when he went into future where his drop out high school son were in Vaitnam and then go back again in to preson camp again. And when he did things that he did can happen again which is rally confusing for people to really get some thing out of this book.
I don't really understand either. I'm thinking that it doesn't really matter the time period because he is jumping around so much through time traveling who knows what time it really is.Maybe each time he is back in Tralfamadore it is after the 6th month period has already taken place, maybe it just keeps adding on to all the time he has spent there.I could be totally wrong, just another idea..
Yeah, this is confusing. I think that its not really the point of the book, I mean time is not really the point. So maybe it really is not significant where he is living or who with, or for how long. I don't know..I'm not sure that he is living there though, bexcause he talks about with "earthlings", so maybe Molly is correct in her thought.
Tralfamadore really confuses me as well. I thought that when he was on Tralfamadore, he was there for 6months straight, but it seems like he comes and goes as he pleases. It's like he has his "earthling" life and then his life on Tralfamadore with Montana. I really don't understand what part this plays in the story.
I'm not really sure, but I can take a guess. I think in the end, Billy doesn't really have the ability to time travel. One indication of this is when Billy is in the porn shop and he sees a picture of Montana Wildhack. He originally said that Montana Wildhack was a movie star, not a porn star. He also sees a picture of a donkey and a lady like the one Weary had. Also, he has a conversation with himself before he gets on the radio talk show. He says something about "wild Bill" but Wild Bill was a colonel during the war that died in a train car. The books by Killgore Trout also point towards Billy’s delusions. Earlier on in the book, his daughter asks Billy why he never said anything about Tralfomagar before the plane crash. Billy responded “the time wasn’t ripe.” Or I could be completely wrong, because at the beginning of the book it says Billy gets on a radio talk show, then later he time travels to the future and he has a bunch of devoted followers.
I believe that when Billy and Montana are on Tralfamadore they are in the present time, but I also think that Billy is traveling through time mentally not physically. An example of this from the book was when Billy and Montana were in the dome, Montana asked Billy if he was time traveling again and she said she can always tell which implied that he was still in the Tralformadorion dome when he traveled back in time to New York.
Post a Comment